Bulburin National Park
Bulburin was set aside in 1901 as a reserve for the purposes of timber production, and subsequently dedicated as a State forest and timber reserve. Commercial forestry provided an important industry for the region with hoop pine plantations supporting economic and employment opportunities for the surrounding communities.
Forestry activities ceased following the dedication of the land as national park by the Queensland Government in 2006. This dedication provides for management of the land to achieve among other things, the permanent preservation of the land’s natural condition and protection of the area’s cultural resources and values and values. The land contains the largest subtropical rainforest remnant in coastal central Queensland. The forest communities include subtropical rainforest, gallery rainforest, open eucalypt forest with rainforest understorey, and dense strands of dry rainforest with emerging hoop pine (Araucaria cunninghamii).
It is one of the most biodiverse protected areas along the Queensland central coast, with over 300 animal and 550 plant species recorded within the park. Of particular note is the protection of the only known population of the endangered Bulburin nut tree (Macadamia jansenii).
Bulburin National Park is managed by the Queensland Government through the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service, working with partners in the community to preserve the extensive native forest ecosystems and wildlife of the area. Management objectives include protecting the natural, cultural, social and aesthetic values of the park and providing sustainable low-impact nature-based recreation opportunities for activities such as scenic four-wheel-driving, camping and bushwalking.